Addison Fire Department Retirees happenings

Monday, December 26, 2011

Tom,
Going through some boxes yesterday, I came upon this story that I wrote for Volunteer Firefighter Magazine, probably in 1962-63 when I was still in high school. If I remember correctly, the house was in the vicinity of Stonemill and Tara.
At the time, the Village department was wearing a goofy looking Cairns drop brim helmet and the Rural was wearing MSA helmets. Somehow, Howie was issued or bought one of the first leather helmets, and as can be seen in the photo on the first page, there was a mix of styles as the leathers were being phased in.
In that photo, which I've sent as a separate file, Charlie Jenkins is at the lower left, and Emil (Slim) Brinkman is at the right side of the tank. Howie is standing in front of the tanker along with Ed Feeny who used to deliver fuel oil in town. The guy at the rear of the tanker in the white shirt is the Rural chief, but his name slips my mind.
Stay safe,
Dave ( FORNELL )

No comments:

Post a Comment